So now that all of that junk is off of the trailer, it’s time to start going to work on it. Well let me tell ya, it wasn’t very pretty. Almost all of the wood that was on the deck was completely rotted and even had some holes going straight though. We saw this as a perfect opportunity for some good old fashion demolition labor. We rolled up our sleeves, grabbed some gloves and a few tools and started at it.
When we first got to the trailer (Benny too) we had only brought a few hammers, tape measure, and a flat bar with us to start. After hammering on a few spots Justin realized that having bigger and better tools would greatly benefit us. I don’t know what we were thinking bringing just the hammers… So we brought Benny home and grabbed the sawzawl (which I like to think of as my super tool), a grinder, and the skill saw.
Wow, what a difference that made. We snapped a couple of lines marking off the ribs of the trailer and had at it. Justin started making cuts in the wood that wasn’t totally rotted to make it easier to remove. I came in behind him with my super tool to finish the cuts to the frame and then we hammered it all out together. Once we finished getting all of the wood off, we took to the screws that had been holding all of the wood in place and hammered those off. There were still little nubs from the screws left so Justin used the grinder to take them completely off, flush with the frame. The sparks we flying and it looked so cool 🙂
There is also some diamond plate that had been welded onto the back of the trailer. At first Justin thought it was just tack welded in a few spots so he got to grinding. Shortly after grinding off a few welds and freeing up the front of the plate, he realized the rear of it had a bead of weld along the entire width of it. So, he decided we would call it a day and head back over with the torches this weekend. We have new rims and tires on order, as well as the new 5th wheel pin. The excitement is exhilarating and its time to make this happen!